Monday, December 15, 2014

Tried and True, Homemade Laundry Detergent

Daniel and I started making our own laundry detergent about 3 years ago, after I went to a Women's Retreat at church.  They gave us this recipe (or something similar) and it has been awesome ever since!

We've lived at 2 different houses and it's never caused problems in any washing machine we've had.  My grandma recently stayed with us and said she noticed a difference with her clothes and decided to take some home to try with her front load washer that uses well water.  She said her clothes now feel soft and better than they've ever felt before!

I don't have a cost breakdown to compare this with leading detergents on the market, but I can bet it will save you money.

All you need is:

1 box of Borax
1 box of Washing Soda
1 large box of Baking Soda
1 or 2 bars of Fels-Naptha Soap

And basically, you just mix all the powders together in a tub, grate the soap into it and mix.  Then you're done!  It only takes 1/8th to 1/4th of a cup per load.

I also use this on my cloth diapers and it gets them clean and smelling nice!










I made a double batch- so that's why there is so much!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment